Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Courgette Soup

Courgette = zucchini in British language

I'll post the recipe as it is in the cookbook, and then I'll write about the changes I made. It was delicious.

2 Tbsp. olive oil
5-6 rashers, diced (or if you live in America, then bacon will have to do)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium zucchini, sliced, and a few reserved for garnish
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 c. chicken broth
4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
2/3 c. half and half
ground pepper to taste (that means a lot!)
3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced (I used cilantro)

In a stockpot or large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until nearly crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove a few pieces and reserve for a garnish. Stir in the onion, zucchini, and potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion and zucchini are soft but not browned. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.

Working in batches, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, whisk in the cheese and half and half, and season with pepper. Simmer until heated through. Ladle into bowls and garnish with reserved bacon and zucchini slices, and the parsley.

Okay, I do not usually puree my soups, and I don't boil the bacon because I think it tastes better crispy. So... I cook the bacon separately, and then set it aside. I cooked everything else the same as directed in the first few steps, except that I put the cilantro in with the zucchini, potatoes, and onion. And instead of letting the soup cool in order to run it through the processor, after the potatoes are tender, I skip ahead to the adding of the cheese and half and half. It turned out pretty well.

From The Irish Pub Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment