Monday, August 30, 2010

White Chili

This is absolutely one of my all-time favorite things to make (and eat).

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (at least 4, but you can add more!)
3-4 c. chicken broth or 3-4 cubes bouillon (it depends on how soupy you want your chili)
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp. ground cumin (so, I probably add more like 5 tsp, but go by what tastes good to you)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp chipotle tabasco
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
black pepper to taste (I use a lot!)
1 can (11oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (15oz) great northern beans, drained
1 can (15oz) butter beans, drained
2 c. chicken breast chopped and cooked (I usually cook the chicken with the same spices I put in the chili)
pepperjack cheese (optional)
tortilla chips (optional)
Onion, garlic, cilantro in oil

Chili with all the ingredients minus chicken
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in oil (I add the garlic a few minutes after the onion), stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except chicken. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes (while it's simmering, I occasionally taste it to see how the spices are blending, and I'll usually add some more until it tastes like what I want). Stir in chicken; simmer until hot. Serve with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sliced avocado, etc.
Chili with chicken
Ready to serve!

Adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook

1 comment: